AVG AntiVirus FREE for Android
- Last update: 10 months ago
- Version: Varies with device
- Size: 18.10M
- Compatibility: Varies with device
- Author: AVG Mobile
- Content rating: Everyone
- Package name: com.antivirus
Comprehensive Protection Available to Everyone: AVG Antivirus for Android
Browsing the Web on your smartphone or tablet may be convenient and fun, but you have to remember that there always is the other side of the coin. The constantly growing community of Internet users is a great target for hackers and scammers, who are always looking for easy prey. The Web is a great place for them to find just that, and even more. Your credit card data, login details, accounts and even your device itself cannot be left unattended online, just like in real life.
Viruses are one of the greatest threats that await you when you’re browsing the Web. They can get into your device’s system when you visit a website, download a file or even open a mail. The damage they can do to the machine and its user varies greatly. Viruses can do a lot of harm, ranging from
seemingly innocent tricks, like making obscenities jump around your device’s screen, to stealing your personal information or even physically damaging the device. While some mobile operating systems are not susceptible to viruses thanks to their source code and a number of restrictions (closed-source file system in Apple devices, for instance), Android OS allows you to download and open/install any file as long as it is compatible with the system itself. This is obviously very convenient, but is also an easy way to get your device full of viruses. The good news is, you can protect your Android-based smartphone and/or tablet from viruses, as well as some other online threats, and the AVG Antivirus app is one of the best ways to do that.
AVG Antivirus offers a lot of tools to help you protect your device and even make it work a little better. The core functionality of the AVG protection app includes:
- Scan your device for viruses and deal with them quickly and efficiently. Not only will AVG help you get rid of malware that has already found its way into your phone or tablet, but it will also warn you if you’re about to visit a potentially harmful website or download a suspicious file. AVG can scan all types of files, including apps and games.
- Optimize your device. With the free AVG app, you can scan your device settings, and AVG will tell you if it finds any of them compromising your safety or inefficient. It will also provide instructions how to change the setting to an optimal value. In addition, you can monitor your device’s performance, as well as battery life, and attempt to optimize it by killing unnecessary processes and tweaking some battery-related settings, such as screen brightness, connectivity and apps that are allowed to work in the background. AVG can also be a tool for tracking your mobile data traffic and optimizing your storage (both built-in memory and SD card).
- Protect your device in case of theft or loss. If you happen to lose or forget your phone somewhere, you’ll be able to track it through Google Maps (provided that the phone’s battery isn't depleted). Another useful feature is the ability to make the phone ring even if it is in silent mode. If your device gets stolen, AVG Antivirus can lock it immediately after the SIM card in it is replaced. Also, if the thief enters the password wrong three times, AVG will snap a picture of them through the device’s front camera and send it to you. AVG Antivirus is also capable of erasing all your personal content and settings if the device is stolen or lost.
- Hide private stuff from other people’s eyes. You can set up a password to protect your photos from possible intruders. Furthermore, you have the ability to lock some of your apps with a password, so that only you can access their content.
In addition, AVG Antivirus can backup all your apps to SD card (a Premium feature). The free AVG Antivirus app has some tricks up its sleeve, too. It can be programmed to delete your call history, messages and browser history (currently only available for Google Chrome). Also, if someone is bothering you with unwanted calls or text messages, you can block them using AVG Call and Message Blocker. Last but not least, AVG Antivirus is always ready to protect you from online phishing attacks, which means that your personal data remains well-guarded even when you do online banking or shopping from your mobile device.
The design of the AVG Antivirus app looks sleek and attractive, using the contrast between green and black to its utmost advantage. The user interface doesn't look too complicated or cluttered and will instantly feel familiar to any Android user.
While AVG Antivirus does have an impressive amount of features, not all of them seem to function properly. According to user feedback, the AVG Internet security component sometimes fails to detect a threat or report it to the user. Some users have also experienced problems with the paid version of the app (the license ran out prematurely shortly after the payment was made).
Cross-Platform Use 8/10
You can download AVG free antivirus app for your Android devices, as well as Windows-based computers and tablets. Granted, Apple products are virus-proof, so they don't need an antivirus app, but AVG Antivirus isn't only about protecting a device from viruses. It would've been nice to see a version of AVG Antivirus for iOS devices at least because of the antitheft and content lock features.
You can get yourself the basic protection from AVG for free, but if you want to have access to Premium features after your 30-day trial is over you’ll have to pay for the full version of the app.
AVG Antivirus for Android definitely offers an impressive package for comprehensive mobile device protection and management. It might have some flaws which need to be fixed in the next updates, but it looks as a must-have app for every Android user concerned about their safety and privacy.Collapse
If you’re looking for a free app that can protect your device from malware and even throw in some extra features, download AVG Antivirus and give it a shot today.
Pros : A lot of features available for free;
Protect your device and data from viruses;
Keep your private files away from intruders;
Handy if your device gets lost or stolen.
Cons : Limited crossplatform availability;
Some bugs still need to be fixed.
Cross-platform use 4.0