- Last update: 3 years ago
- Version: 6.3
- Size: 19.4 MB
- Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Author: Farlex, Inc.
- Content rating: Rated 4+
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- In-App Purchases:
- Ad-free upgrade $1.99
Unfortunately, professional review of the Dictionary. app is not yet ready. This app is on the list and will be reviewed in the nearest feature. Meanwhile, you can find more from the official description below.View all reviews
The only Dictionary and Thesaurus with every word you search for. Plus Word of the Day, free offline dictionary access, and millions of definitions and synonyms from top sources, including:
The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus FREE access to:
English Offline Dictionary
English Offline Thesaurus with synonyms and more
English Idioms and Slang Dictionary
Translations of English into 40+ languages
Dozens of other translation options
+ Much more! The Free Dictionary is like getting 100+ apps in one easy-to-use interface.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 99 countries 2011–2016. (Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=ipad&type=best-ranks)
Here's what you can do with The Free Dictionary app:
* Find every word you search for.
Clear, accurate definitions from top dictionaries—online and offline.
* Find synonyms fast.
Free Thesaurus with simple interface makes it easy to find the perfect word. Browse synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Learn something new every day.
Word of the Day
Idiom of the Day
+ Other daily content
* Build your vocabulary.
Don't just look up words—learn how to use them! Featuring:
The perfect dictionary app for word lovers and learners of all levels.
* Explore topics in-depth.
Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Idioms and Slang dictionary
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Play word games.
Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* See idioms in action.
Watch idioms videos inside the app! Featuring animations of words and phrases from the idioms and slang dictionary.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages.
Spanish dictionary and thesaurus
French dictionary and thesaurus
German dictionary and thesaurus
+ Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and more!
* Translate English into Spanish, French, and 40+ languages.
Or translate other languages into English. Access dozens of other translation options.
* Access dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers with just one search:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
Here's why The Free Dictionary is the most user-friendly dictionary app:
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," then tap "More" in the bottom menu and turn on the "Define" option. You will then see a "Define" icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Look up a word just by saying it.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
Seem too good to be true?
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews.
Read reviews from real users to see why they say The Free Dictionary is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).