Opera Mini - fast web browser
- Last update: 10 months ago
- Version: Varies with device
- Size: 4.11M
- Compatibility: Varies with device
- Author: Opera
- Content rating: Everyone
- Package name: com.opera.mini.native
- Last update: 1 year ago
- Version: 14.0.0
- Size: 47.4 MB
- Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Author: Opera Software ASA
- Content rating: You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
Opera Mini Web Browser: Familiar Design and Great Functionality
Mobile Web browsers are enjoying growing popularity, which is hardly surprising with the number of mobile data connection users increasing every year. Both Play Market and App Store have a vast variety of mobile browsers to download and use, but not all of them are worth your time. Some of them simply won’t represent web pages correctly, others lack even basic functionality and some browsers are pretty good, but ad-supported, which means that you keep getting distracted by the annoying banners. Opera Mini Web browser is free of all these setbacks, but does that mean that you should switch to using it? Read this article to the end to find out.
Opera Mini does have a lot to offer in terms of functionality. Apart from some features which have by no
w become typical for any good mobile browser, it also has some original functionality which might well be the tipping point that persuades someone to start using Opera Mini.
Opera Mini really puts delivering a great user experience in perspective, offering virtually anything a casual user might need on their journey through the Web. First of all, Opera Mini aims to reduce the amount of your mobile data traffic by using a special data compression algorithm. You can monitor the amount of data saved for you by Opera through a dedicated in-app widget. In addition, there is a built-in ad blocker in Opera Mini, which serves the double purpose of saving you traffic and freeing your interaction with the Web from the incessant flow of ads.
Second, Opera Mini lets you download videos and view them later, accessing them directly through the browser. This feature might come in handy if you stumble upon an interesting video, but don’t have enough time to watch it. Unfortunately, this won’t work with YouTube because of the website’s limitations, but it does work quite well with most other websites. There is also a “Smart Downloads” feature in Opera Mini which allows you to download small files immediately even on mobile data and postpone bigger downloads until you have a Wi-Fi connection available (this works for any file type, not only videos).
Third, Opera Mini has a fast, convenient way of delivering all the latest news to you, straight in the browser. Just swipe to the left from your homepage, and you’ll get to the “Top Stories” tab. You can configure it by selecting the topics and categories you’re most interested in, and Opera Mini will do the rest of the work by regularly updating your news feed and showing you the most recent stories in the categories of your choice. If you like simplicity and can’t be bothered with using an RSS feed reader app, then this is a serious advantage of Opera Mini over most other mobile browsers for you.
Finally, Opera Mini has a number of other features which you’re bound to find helpful and use at least from time to time:
- Private browsing mode. You can easily switch to private mode and back straight from the homepage. Your device will be completely void of any traces of your Web history when you use Opera Mini in private mode.
- Night mode. This mode is fairly simple: it reduces the brightness of your screen so that reading off your device in the dark is not so hard on the eyes.
- Multi-tasking. You can keep a lot of tabs running in the background of Opera Mini, and it won’t slow the browser’s performance even on devices with low specifications.
- The “Plus” button. It appears on every web page you visit, and if you press it, you can quickly add the page or site to bookmarks or the Speed Dial shortcuts on your start screen.
- Sync. With this feature, you can have your open tabs, bookmarks, and shortcuts synced on any device with Opera Mini.
Also, there’s a number of small handy features in Opera Mini, such as being able to monitor your data traffic usage and specify a search engine that you wish to be used within the browser.
Opera Mini has a design that will obviously feel familiar to those who used other versions of Opera browsers on their mobile phones back in the previous decade. It is simple, looks quite elegant and doesn't overwhelm the user. It is definitely a successful solution for a mobile browser, and by now it has probably become a classic.
Opera Mini is a great browser with impressive functionality and a sleek, intuitive user interface, but it is not as strong in terms of usability. In spite of the developers’ claims of Opera Mini being one of the fastest mobile browsers, it is definitely not. While the delay in loading web pages compared to other major browsers is fairly small, if you do mind waiting that extra second, you’ll probably be put off using Opera for good.
Cross-Platform Use 10/10
Since Opera Mini has been around for a while, it is available even for devices that run on Java and Symbian OS. Also, you can install it on your phone or tablet which runs on iOS, Android, Windows Phone/Mobile or Blackberry OS. Officially, Opera Mini is not available for you Windows PC or Mac, but you can download the “regular” version of the browser for your PC or laptop, and enjoy the benefits of Opera across all major platforms.
Opera is a free app, and it doesn't offer any in-app purchases, nor is it ad-supported.
Opera Mini is a good browser with a lot of handy functions, but it still has some room for improvement, namely in the web pages loading speed. Your current preferred browser may not offer some of Opera Mini’s functionality, but if it is capable of loading the web pages just a little bit faster, that might be the dealbreaker for you.Collapse
Give Opera Mini a shot, and if you feel that the benefits of using it outweigh the additional time you’ll spend waiting for the web pages to load, Opera Mini may well become your new preferred browser.
Pros : A modern browser with an attractive user interface;
Possibility to download videos;
Data saving algorithm;
Built-in ad blocker;
Extended cross-platform availability.
Cons : Won't download videos from YouTube;
Could've loaded web pages faster.
Cross-platform use 5.0
Average : 4.9
How can I block the ads in Opera Mini?
Go to the main menu and choose the Savings mode, then tick the box next to Block ads.
Does Opera Mini support Flash?
No, it's no longer possible.
Can I download media files using Opera Mini?
Yes. Just long-press the content you'd like to download and press the Download button. But remember that you won't be able to download anything you want, for example, streams.